Episode 21: Camilla Ochlan and Bonita Gutierrez - Authors
I'm excited to share a chat with not one, but two amazing artists! Camilla Ochlan and Bonita Gutierrez, authors of The Werewolf Whisperer series, are on the podcast! These two ladies are talented and well rounded artists on their own, writing screenplays, acting, producing, writing other books, doing martial arts...I could keep going! Let's just say they have a lot going on, and without missing a beat on their separate projects, they manage to come together to write this urban fantasy series. It's action packed, it's funny, it's sad, it's dark, it's so many things. And so far they've published two novels in the series and two novellas, including the recently released Beast Out Of Hell.
Camilla and Bonita write a past and present timeline that is so seamlessly executed, I just had to ask what their secret was to accomplishing this feat! We also talked character, genre, publishing, getting started as a writer, writing as a team, solo projects, and so much more!
I asked the ladies to send me some fun facts about themselves. Here's what they wrote:
1. I am married to "The Mathemagician."
2. I don't travel much now, but I've hiked the Queen Charlotte track and paddled Picton Bay in New Zealand, walked the Great Wall of China by Beijing, climbed the Porta Negra in Trier, Germany, glided down the Grand Canal in a gondola, seen seven West End plays in five days while in London, have twice visited the Alhambra in Granada, Spain and spent time getting lost in museums in Florence.
3. I helped run a winery with vineyards in Monterey, Napa and New Zealand.
4. I cannot sing at all, which didn't stop me from playing the Ballad Singer in The Three Penny Opera. I am sorry.
5. My porn name would be Minka Schanzenpforte.
1. I have a background in Jeet Kune Do (Bruce Lee's art), train in mixed martial arts and Kali Escrima (stick and knife fighting.) My fighter nickname is Bone Crusher.
2. I have a heightened sense of smell, which exacerbates my pineapple allergy. I can sniff out a small gas leak, but stick a freshly cut pineapple under my nose and I just might pass out. (Everyone has her Kryptonite.)
3. My favorite film of all time is Star Wars: A New Hope (of course). I still own the original score on vinyl LP that my mom bought for my brother and me in 1977. It's framed and hanging in my home office.
4. I'm addicted to collecting Funko Pop figures. (Mostly Star Wars, but I do have a Ghost from GoT and the entire run of the Hannibal T.V. series.)
5. I don't really like to cook, but if you catch me in a generous mood, and I magically have an entire afternoon to kill, I just might whip you up a batch of homemade tortillas.
6. Though I suck at playing it, I'm a huge tennis fan. Some day, I shall walk the hallowed grounds of Wimbledon. Oh, and Rafael Nadal is the man! ¡Vamos Rafa!
7. I'm a Joss Whedon devotee. Buffy the Vampire Slayer is my absolute favorite television show of all time. I mean it. It is. I think I need to go watch it right now.
8. San Diego Comic Con has been my mecca for over fifteen years, and I dream of one day being on a panel in Hall H in front of thousands of cheering fans, hanging on my every word about my latest novel-turned-feature film. (Go big or go home, right?)
Clearly, you can see that these ladies are a lot of fun to talk with! I enjoyed our conversation so much!
If you're a writer, or have ever entertained the thought of writing, or if you just love books, this is the episode for you.
And, don't forget to scroll down to the end of this page to get all of the ladies' social media links, web pages, and links for books in The Werewolf Whisperer series!
And now, pour yourself a cup of coffee and get ready to be inspired! Here is my chat with Camilla Ochlan and Bonita Gutierrez .
The Werewolf Whisperer:
Links to books:
Help promote her Process:
If you like what you heard, please hop over to iTunes, iHeartRadio, or Stitcher to subscribe and leave a review...or some stars, or a thumbs up. The more reviews, the greater chance more listeners will find the show and be inspired by the amazing artists I get to chat with here on Her Process.