Ep. 36: Yumi Sakugawa - Comic Book Artist, Author
Today I’m chatting with comic book artist and author, Yumi Sakugawa. I personally have several of Yumi’s books, including "I Think I Am In Friend – Love With You", "Your Illustrated Guide To Becoming One With The Universe", "There Is No Right Way To Meditate", and her latest …"The Little Book Of Life Hacks, How to Make Your Life Happier, Healthier, and More Beautiful".
And her comics! Yumi writes and draws feelings…feelings that we’ve all experienced. Her stories spring up around these deep truths, and I think that’s why, at least for me, once I started reading her work, I craved more. It’s like Yumi just gets me. :) She puts the human experience on paper. And in talking with her here on the show, and getting a glimpse into how she creates, I understand why her words and drawings evoke that sense of familiarity wrapped up in something that is just so magical.
The more I talked with Yumi, the more I wanted to know about her. I always ask my guests to email me five fun facts about them that we didn't mention on the show. I couldn't wait to read what Yumi sent:
1. It is 10000x easier for me to sit in silent contemplative silence for one hour than to not pop a pimple on my face.
2. My childhood book character role model (and adulthood book character role model, tbh) is Claudia Kishi from The Babysitter's Club book series.
3. I am currently obsessed with the Netflix reality TV show Terrace House. I think I love all the attractive Japanese men who are in touch with their feelings, and listening to conversational Japanese while I work on mundane tasks at home makes me feel closer to my Japanese roots. My dream husband would be Han-san from season 1.
4. I am an astrology and self-help junkie. Favorite astrology blog: Mystic Medusa. Current favorite self-help audiobook: You Are A Badass At Making Money by Jen Sincero. Astrology facts about me: Sagittarius sun, Aquarius rising, Virgo Moon, Venus and Mars in Aquarius, Scorpio midheaven, North Node in Taurus 4th house.
5. I want to manifest a trip to Iceland this year. It's on my mental vision board.
Okay, now that you have a sense of how awesome this artist is...
On the pod we talk books, comics, zines, traditional publishing, self publishing, tools of the trade, inspiration, and really, so much more! I’m super excited to share with you, my chat with Yumi Sakugawa.
Help promote her Process:
If you like what you heard, please hop over to iTunes, iHeartRadio, Stitcher, or YouTube to subscribe and leave a review...or some stars, or a thumbs up. The more reviews, the greater chance more listeners will find the show and be inspired by the amazing artists I get to chat with here on Her Process.