Ep. 23: Leila Milki - Singer, Songwriter, Pianist
In this episode, I'm chatting with singer, songwriter, pianist, Leila Milki. Leila began taking classical piano lessons at just four years of age. She pursued her studies under the practical and theoretical curriculum of the Royal Conservatory of Music. We talk a little bit about practical and theoretical study as they pertain to music, and why both are so valuable. Leila's had some of the most fascinating jobs doing what she loves... making music. If there are any musicians reading this who are looking for ways to make a living playing music, give this episode a listen! She's also working on completing her first album, and funded it by doing a month long Kickstarter campaign. Leila tells us about the preparation and execution of the campaign, what really got people motivated to contribute, and tells us which social media outlet helped her the most during the process.
I asked Leila to email a few fun facts about herself, and this is what she sent:
- I seem to have been more exciting as a child: my very first word was "Wow," I could recite the capitals of most countries, and I worshiped Barney above all else.
- Jasmine, rose-water, and orange blossom are my favorite aromas, since they bring me back to warm mediterranean summers in northern rural Lebanon. I love them in my soaps, teas, and desserts.
- I discovered I had perfect pitch as an early teenager, and was surprised to find out this wasn't a basic 'skill' every musician possessed. I thought recognizing notes was as simple as recognizing colors.
- I am semi-obsessed with documenting my life, visually. I take photos every day, not only because of aesthetics, but because it keeps my memory on point.
- I'm a late bloomer when it comes to driving: I didn't get my license until I was 18, and could only practice on the occasional trip back home throughout college. This defined my sense of independence (and my lyric-writing) for a while, and now that I've had a car for the past year, I feel infinitely more confident and productive in so many areas. Plus, I can finally be a functional human in LA.
- My motto is "create your own opportunities" (which driving definitely allows for!).
Leila has a strong connection and love for her Lebanese heritage, and she talks about how that love informs her music. She performs in English, Arabic, French, and Spanish. And, at the end of the show, Leila sits down at the piano and treats us to a piece from her upcoming album, sung in two of the afore mentioned languages. Listen to find out which two!
So, let's get to it! Here's my chat with Leila Milki.
Help promote her Process:
If you like what you heard, please hop over to iTunes, iHeartRadio, Stitcher, or YouTube to subscribe and leave a review...or some stars, or a thumbs up. The more reviews, the greater chance more listeners will find the show and be inspired by the amazing artists I get to chat with here on Her Process.